WELCOME!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Oscar De La Hoya: Referee Bayless favors Floyd Mayweather

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxi

Deleted
EyeOn
Sports

Oscar De La Hoya: Referee Bayless favors Floyd Mayweather

By Sean Wagner-McGough | Boxing Writer

April 22, 2015 2:10 pm ET

Part 1: Showtime's Inside Mayweather-Pacquiao | Part 2
When Kenny Bayless was chosen to be the third person inside the ring for the Fight of the Century, he was immediately granted the kind of influence that can be both daunting and exhilarating. As the referee, Bayless has the ability to swing and dictate the proceedings. Outside of Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, and their trainers, he'll have the biggest say on how the match is fought.
While neither side in the fight has publicly bashed the selection of Bayless as the referee, there's a fighter out there who thinks the decision was a poor one. Because, according to Oscar De La Hoya, Bayless is going to favor Mayweather and put Pacquiao at a disadvantage.
Speaking with Yahoo Sports, De La Hoya made his feelings about Bayless apparent.
"I think it favors Mayweather, absolutely," De La Hoya told Yahoo Sports. "There is no secret about that. I had heard Kenny Bayless was going to be the referee and that's one point for Mayweather right there."
According to De La Hoya, in previous Mayweather fights that Bayless has refereed, Bayless possessed a quick trigger.
"If you notice every fight Mayweather has had with Kenny Bayless, the referee should break them up if both hands are tied up and they're not throwing punches," De La Hoya said. "If you notice, for instance with Maidana, when they got in close, right away Kenny Bayless would break them up."
img25159419.jpg
Could referee Kenny Bayless be a point in Mayweather's favor? (Getty Images) It's pretty clear, however, that Pacquiao's side doesn't think Bayless is going to be a problem inside the ring. Promoter Bob Arum, who represents Pacquiao, told The Telegraph that Bayless is "the best out there."
And Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, said "I have a favorite referee (Bayless) but he seems to favor Mayweather a little bit. I think that this fight is so big -- all we want is a fair fight. I think we can get that."
Roach makes a good point. With the eyes of the world on the fight, it's tough to see someone stealing a victory from either fighter. The outcome, hopefully, will be decided by Mayweather and Pacquiao, and not the the third man in the ring.

Topics: Mayweather vs Pacquiao, BOXING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back